A cookie is a harmless small text file that is stored in your browser when visiting almost any web page. Its utility is that the web is able to remember your visit when returning to that page. Although many people don’t know that cookies have been used 20 years ago, when the first browsers for the World Wide Web were introduced. when the first browsers for the World Wide Web.
What is not a cookie?
It is not a virus or a Trojan or a worm, not spam, not spyware, not pop-up window that opens.
What information that a cookie store?
Cookies do not often store sensitive information about you such as credit card or bank account information, photos, your ID or personal information, etc. The data stored are technical, personal preferences, content personalization, etc. The web server does not associate you as a person but your web browser. In fact, if you regularly browse with Internet Explorer and try to browse the same web with Firefox or Chrome you will see that the web does not realize that you are the same person that actually is partnering with the browser, not to the person.
What type of cookies are there?
- Techniques Cookies: These are the most basic and able, among other things, knowing when a human navigates or an automated application, when an anonymous user navigates and one registered, basic tasks for running any dynamic web.
- Analytic Cookies: collect information on the type of navigation being done, sections that are used most often, consulted products, times of use, language, etc.
- Advertising Cookies : show advertising based on your browsing, your country of origin, language, etc.
Which are own cookies and third party cookies?
Own cookies are those generated by the page you are visiting and the third parties are those generated by services or external providers like Facebook, Twitter, Google, etc.
What happens if I disable cookies?
To understand the extent you may have to disable cookies, we show some examples:
- You can not share content of that site on Facebook, Twitter or any other social network.
- The web site will not adapt content to your personal preferences, as often happens in online stores.
- You can not access the staff area of that web, such as My Account, or My Profile or My orders.
- Online shopping: It will be impossible to make purchases online, they must be calling or visiting the physical store if you have one.
- It will not be possible to customize your geographic preferences as time zone, currency or language.
- The website can not make web analytics on visitors and web traffic, making it difficult to be competitive anywhere.
- You will not be able to write on the blog, you can not upload photos, post comments, evaluate or rate content. The web may not know whether you are a human or an automated application that publishes spam.
- No ads can be displayed sectioned, reducing the income of the website.
Can I delete cookies?
Yes. Not only delete, also block, general or particular to a specific domain.
To remove cookies from a website, you should go to your browser settings and there you can find the associated domain in question and proceed with deletion.